Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Homer Spit

This morning came way to early. I went to bed around 11 pm last night after being out on a tour all day. I was TIRED!!! Mom wanted to be at breakfast at 8am in the morning. Well in order to be there by 8 am I needed to be up and at it by 7am. I need my time to get ready. It's not easy being beautiful :) In all reality though, I needed about 45 minutes to get ready. Anyways, so I woke up at 7:15….too early after going to bed late (yes 11ish is late if I need to get up at 7). I didn't get my complete 8 hours of sleep. So I got up and got ready and we went to the upstairs dining room. The waitress, who also works in the Pinnacle at night, asked me if I had just finished school. Of course, being used to this question, I explained that I am almost 30 and I just look really young. We all laugh and its a good time, and then we eat our breakfast and go on about our morning. Next on the agenda was a cupcake cooking demonstration. We learned how to make the cupcakes they make on board. They even gave us the recipe card. So, at our next family gathering, you can all expect Mom to make a bunch of Holland America Line cupcakes :) I know she will be thrilled to try the recipe on her own. Ask her about the cupcakes :) We finally go off the boat a little after 10. Our boat docked in Homer, Alaska. There weren't many tours that were interesting at this port, so we decided we would do our own thing. So we took the free shuttle, which also happened to be a school bus, to the Homer Spit. We were greeted by some friendly folks there. The Homer Spit is basically just a bunch of family owned restaurants, guest rooms above the restaurants, handmade shops, boats, and stuff like that. There were a lot of locals with their dogs out walking around. There are only about 5,000 people that live in the town of Homer. It was a quaint place. Apparently people that live in Alaska come to Homer to vacation. When we got off the boat, we were greeted by lots of white birds. Don't ask me what they were. They were loud, and the smelled. The left their markings on the dock. It was stinky!!! A lot of them were sitting on bird nests. Anyways, once we were at the Spit, not to be confused with Spot, we walked around and visited the shops. We first had to go to The Salty Dawg gift shop to get a shirt. Yes, they were overpriced but how many people can say they have been to Homer Alaska to The Salty Dawg….not many! Basically after we walked around for a little while, we came back to the ship. We had our spa treatments at 1:30. My facial was wonderful and Mom seemed to enjoy her seaweed wrap. We met back up in the room and rested a little. Then we went up to the Lido. We didn't eat lunch because we weren't hungry but we were getting hungry then. My pants are getting tight on me, haha! I opted for some fruit. I knew I would gain weight on the trip. For the next few days, I'm going to make better choices so that my pants begin to fit again, hehe! So here we are, in the room, resting before dinner. There wasn't anything going on this afternoon that we were interested in. It's formal night so that means we will need to dress up tonight. I'm not exactly looking forward to wearing my heals. I'd rather be wearing flip-flops. Oh well, how often do you get to dress up. I'm not sure if we will go to the spa or the show tonight. I guess we will decide later. Tomorrow, we are going to Kodiak. Our tour meets at 7:15 am….yikes that's early, so it may be an early night around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment